Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween!

I hope everyone had a spooktacular Halloween!  Can you believe it is the last day of October?  Christmas is just around the corner.  Yikes!  I am not ready for that!

I thought I would share with you some of the things we did to have a fun, frugal Halloween.  Being cheap doesn't have to mean boring!

For starters we went to the pumpkin patch to let the kids pick pumpkins.  We are lucky and live in an area that has lots of pumpkin patches near by.  Along with pumpkins some of them offer corn mazes, rides for kids, games and other entertainment.  The only problem is most of them charge admission.

We headed to the pumpkin patch that is just a couple miles from our house.  The kids enjoyed playing in a corn pit, got to pet farm animals, walked through a hay maze and were able to find pumpkins out in the field.  The best part-admission was free!  We just had to pay for our pumpkins!







I love decorating the house for holidays.  It is a fun tradition the kids and I do.  I have tubs in our basement marked for each holiday and it is always fun to bring them upstairs and pull out all the fun things we have.  The majority of our decorations are things I have picked up over the years at garage sales or were given to me as gifts.  Some of my favorite decorations however are the ones that are made by my kiddos.  Some of them are brought home from school and some are crafts we have done together.  


















Our costumes this year were all costumes we had in our bin of "dress up" clothes.  I have collected costumes the last couple years, mostly from yard sales.  I think the most I might have paid for a costume was $2.  My youngest boy loves dressing up as super heroes or Star Wars characters.  I just so happened to find a Princess Leia costume over the summer and put it back for my daughter with trick or treating night in mind.  With a few modifications it ended up fitting her perfectly!

Here are a few of the sweet treats I made as well.  Rice Krispie pumpkins and mummy and eyeball cupcakes.

2 comments:

  1. Great ideas! Can you share the name of your favorite pumpkin patch for Iowa readers? Looks like a neat place.

    ReplyDelete